Tuesday 16 February 2010

Language and identity



My language portrait

We had to made our own language portrait, choose a color and a place for each of our languages.

French:
-green: it's my natural language
-the leg: I grow up half in French
the brain: it's my mother tongue, it's the one I speake best and it takes the most place in my brain.

Dutch:
-red: it was the language that I spoke in my primary school, I had to work hard and it was a difficult time for me
-the leg:I grew up half in Dutch
the brain: I don't think a lot in Dutch anymore, it takes less place in my head.

English
-blue: it's my favorite color, I've had very good experiences in my life with English speakers. It's an important language for me and the world, it takes a lot of space.
-the dress: it's the first language I've learned in my life. There is still a lot of white, because I would like to improve it and there is place for the other new languages that I would like to learn later.
the brain: it takes more place in my head today.

Spanish
-yellow: it's a sunny country, a happy language, I like the culture and the Spanish people.
-the dress: I learned this language, I know it a little.

Danish
-black: it's a very difficult language, I don't really like it because it's very hard for me to prononce.
-the dress: I'm learning this language.

German
-grey: all my sisters talk german, I don't (sometimes I'm a little jealous).
-the dress: I understand a little.

Analyse of the activity:
I think it's a great idea to do with kids, today there is a lot of nationalities in the same class (really usual in the Belgiam cities).
By doing this excercise children can be aware of the knowledge of all they langages, and take time to think about their place in their lives, it's another way of knowing yourself and your identity.
For once the children who have more difficulties at school because they get confused by all the langages they know, are highlighted.
It helped me to put my life in order...

No comments:

Post a Comment