Friday 12 February 2010

"Hyggelig"


This is one of my first Danish words, I'm really glad I know it, beacause in my opinion that's the word which explains the best the Danish culture.
Hyggelig= agréable (in French)
= gezellig (in Dutch)
I think the Dutch word is the nearest to the Danich meaning, in French this word doesn't really existe.

Danish people like to be in their house, with their family, enjoying being simply together, light candles...
It has been neary 2 weeks that I've had arrived here and I also want to be "hyggelig" with this cold weather.
It also explains a bit the inidvidualisme of the Danish people, you don't need the others, you are happy in your little house (and life).


I start to have dinner early (at 6 o'clock) and when we did a little party at the residence we invited our guests at 8 PM, we turned the lights off, put candles everywhere, played cards, chated, had some drinks, it was very simple and relaxed, the party finished at 12 PM... we all became a bit Danish !

No comments:

Post a Comment